So, I occasionally get in the mood to share a good recipe I've come across on here. We've used these two recipes I'm going to share several times and enjoyed them alot! I couldn't remember where I had actually found the recipes but after a little searching I have found the site so I can give proper credit. I probably came across the blog from a friends blog and anytime I see a recipe in someones feeds of updates I often go check it out. Especially if I'm on the look out for new meals to try.
So, here we go. From www.melskitchencafe.com I found these two little gems! Let me know if you try them out and what you think. And hey, I'm on the lookout for new meals again so if you want to pass any of your favorites on to me I wouldn't mind a bit!
Also, check out this blog: http://jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com/ (linked up to if from Jill, thanks Jill!) I wanted to eat everything on her blog! She makes alot of desserts. I'm not so much into that, well making them that is, but they sure looked good. I did find some good meal ideas we are still in the process of trying from here though.
Anyways, on to the recipes!
The Best Chicken Fajitas
*Serves 4-5
*Note: liquid smoke may seem like an unnecessary, optional ingredient but I promise it adds an irreplaceable flavor and smokiness – I keep a bottle of liquid smoke on hand in the refrigerator just to make these fajitas.
Marinade:
¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
2 easpoons soy sauce
½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Fajitas:
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
1 yellow onion, cut into thin strips
1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
1 red (or orange) pepper, cut into thin strips
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon fresh lime juice (a quick squeeze of a cut lime)
dash of salt and pepper
Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade ingredients over the top. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
After marinading, take chicken out of the bag and discard the marinade. Grill or broil the chicken 4-5 minutes per side (I use my indoor grill pan usually). Remove from pan and tent with foil to keep warm.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the vegetables in the skillet. Serve immediately with flour tortillas and top with tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, sour cream…the options are endless!
Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe/originally from Erin W.
Just a few notes from myself on this recipe. We like to marinade the chicken longer then 2-3 hours. It needs more time to soak up some good flavor and my husband is very picky about flavor! So, I recommend more time maybe 6 hours. And I have found these chicken breasts that are sliced in half already that I like to use and poke them with a fork and I think that helps more flavor get in since the breast is thinner.
Chicken Sauce for Hawaiian Haystacks
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks (or leftover cooked chicken, cubed)
3 tablespoons butter
½ onion (about ½ cup), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic; finely minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion and raw chicken (if using leftover cooked chicken, don’t add it to the skillet now, you’ll add it later). Saute the onion and chicken, if using, until the onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring, until fragrant.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and chicken and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for one minute - this helps get rid of the starchy, flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat. Add the salt and pepper. If you are using leftover cooked chicken, add it now. Continue simmering, stirring the sauce frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Serve the chicken sauce over rice with your toppings of choice, such as olives, tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, green onions, mandarin oranges and chow mein noodles.
Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe
I was so excited to find this recipe. I was tired of using Teriyaki sauce on our Hawaiian haystacks and wanted a creamy sauce but hated to use cream of chicken. Now with this recipe I get the creamy I want and feel it is healthier to eat and it has made me expand the toppings we use which has also been so yummy!
Now, I have to admit me and Myer are the only ones that eat this sauce on ours, the other two still prefer Teriyaki. They are just missing out! We like to use chicken, cheese, green onion, green pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, pineapple, and chow mein noodles as our toppings.
Since it is just for two of us I half the recipe and it has been plenty for me and Myer to use and also have on our leftovers the 2nd day. And since we don't all like this sauce I don't cook my chicken in the sauce so the others can have it too.
Hope you enjoy!!

1 comments:
Mmmmm! I am always on the lookout for new recipes, so thanks for sharing. About jamiecooksitup, the funny thing is that I have never even tried one of her desserts! She posts about them all the time though, huh. I am however, crazy about any and every single bread recipe she has on there. Amazing. We have tried a few main dishes too and they do not disappoint. Keep sharing new recipes!
Post a Comment