I love finding a new recipe that is a keeper and adds more variety to my list of meals. I really hate trying a new recipe and it just doesn't make the cut and never gets made again.
Well, I'm just feeling in the mood to share some new recipes that we've had lately that did indeed make the cut and we have already or will be enjoying them again!
The first I made for dinner tonight. It has been a cold rainy day and there is nothing better then a homemade pot of soup on a day like this. So, I made some Turkey Chili. It is called turkey chili and I have only really made it after Thanksgiving with my turkey leftovers. But tonight I made it with chicken and it worked and tasted just as great. Pretty easy recipe. Here it is:
1 large onion
1-2 bell peppers any color (I usually only use 1)
3 Tablespoons veg oil
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1 20 oz can tomatoes (diced) with juice (I think my can was only 14.5 oz and it was fine)
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1/2 cup water
1 can chicken broth
2 cups turkey cut in 1 in pieces (chunks)
salt
Cook onion and peppers in oil until golden brown. Add chili powder and brown sugar and cook about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, beans, water, chicken broth, and 1 tsp. of salt. Simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken!) and heat through.
Oh it just tastes soooooo good to me!
Another recipe we recently tried and have had twice now I got off a blog of my neighbor. I'm just going to post the link to the recipe on her blog instead of reposting the whole thing here. But it was really tasty as well. It calls for raisins in the recipe and I have not put those in because it just sounded too weird to me. And I never use a full 16 oz. of salsa. I may have less meat then the 1 lb. it calls for but I usually only use 1 cup of salsa. And the first time we made it I had some avocado I cut on top of mine that was pretty good as well! Go check it out here.
And last of all I found a good sweet and sour recipe from a ward cookbook that was just put together. I use to make sweet n sour but just with a store sauce and it just wasn't that great so it slowly made its way out of our meals. But this was the perfect sauce and it tasted great as leftovers the next day. I will definitely make it again.
4 chicken breasts
2 eggs
cornstarch
3 shakes of garlic powder
cooking oil
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. vinegar
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. water
1 T. soy sauce
1 dash of salt
optional: pineapple, onion, and green peppers (I definitely added these to my dish)
First mix sugar, vinegar, ketchup, water, soy sauce, and salt. I mix it in a 9 X 13 baking dish. Next cut your raw chicken into pieces. Mix the cornstarch and garlic powder together in a separate bowl. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet. Then, coat chicken pieces in the cornstarch mixture and then the egg and add to the hot skillet. Let cook and turn until chicken pieces are browned. Then add the browned chicken to the 9 X 13 dish. You can then add pineapple, onion and green pepper to the baking dish. Bake for one hour at 350.
With this recipe I didn't know how much cornstarch to use so just had to pour some on a plate and I used more then 3 shakes of the garlic powder. It seemed it needed more and I had to add more corn starch and garlic to my plate halfway through. So, you just need enough to coat all the chicken you have. I think I did about 12 chicken tenders instead of chicken breasts. And I think it only needed to cook about 45 minutes.
Sorry, now that I think about it, I have one more recipe I need to share while I'm at it. It is a sauce for stir fry. I love stir fry and use to make it but once again just didn't have the right sauce so we quit making it. But once I got this recipe from a friend we have started eating stir fry again and I LOVE it! I usually double this batch and pour about 1/2 on the vegetables while they are cooking and save the other 1/2 to add to your own dish at the table. But I usually have a pretty big pan of vegetables by the time I get done and we like lots of sauce so for smaller amounts the recipe should be fine as is. We do usually end up with a bit of sauce left over but better too much then not enough! Oh soooo good I'm serious try it!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil (I found this at Walmart so you should be able to locate some)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. Tabasco
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice (I have only used lemon)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
Directions:
Heat the sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry 15-30 seconds over medium heat to bring out the flavor. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, tabasco, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring just to a boil. Dissove the cornstarch in some water and whisk into the sauce. Heat until the sauce thickens and reaches a full boil. Simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
There you have it! If you are looking for something new to eat and one of these appeals to you try it and and let me know what you think! Happy cooking!
And aren't you so proud of me I just did a blog post and didn't post a single picture. You have to admit that is pretty boring compared to my posts with a billion pictures!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Something Good to Eat!
Posted by Erin at 7:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Readers - I had some of that turkey chili and it's super! Erin, I'm going to check back with your Asian recipes here later when I'm ready for stir-frys. Glad you're finding some great new recipes! Yum!
Readers, I also tried the Sweet and Sour CHX and it was a hit!!! Cookingwitherin.com you next step???
I've been making that sweet and sour chicken for years, though the sauce has a little bit different amounts of the ingredients. We love it. Thanks for new recipes to try!
I think the turkey chili is one I will have to try soon, I too have a bunch of leftover turkey I gotta do something with. Plain turkey doesn't sound to appealing after the holidays so this should finish it off. Thanks little sis! Man you must be quite the chef now-a-days!
We tried the turkey chili and it was one of our favorites. i was so sad when those leftovers were gone :( Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment