Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Trip to the Dentist!

Today Kenner had his first visit to the dentist and did really well, I was proud of him. Wayne and I have been into the dentist the last few weeks to have our check ups and cleanings so Kenner started asking to go see the dentist as well. I had to wait until August for him to get changed onto our dentist office roster and then get a referral letter for him to go see a pediatric dentist. Anyways, he kept asking to go and I told him I had to get an appointment first. So, I got one set up and I had to keep telling him he'd have to wait until that day.

Well, today came and I think he got a bit nervous about it realizing it was actually going to happen. He told me he wanted to go play with the neighbor instead where Myer was going to be while we went. Then when we were filling out paperwork and waiting at the dentist office, he asked several times to leave the dentist.

But we stuck with it and finally got called back and he did a great job letting them take 2 xrays of his top and bottom teeth. The lady showed him the little cleaner brush they use to clean your teeth and let him touch it. He thought that was pretty cool. He got a bit nervous when the dentist walked in, and when they laid his chair back. But he sat through it all with mom by his side and let them in his mouth, clean it up a bit and he was done! I was glad he did so well for his first visit. Previously when I had ever mentioned dentists he'd say he didn't want to go. So, I envisioned the day I finally took him to the dentist there would be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, but it went alot better! Phew!

So, here are a few pics I took of his first visit.


Looking a bit excited! I took another pic that he didn't look quite so happy. :)

Got his little bib on now. The Dr. had just walked in and he got all shy. He was eyeing her off in the corner and I got a little smirk. She was trying to get him to smile.

What a stud!

And I just can't end without mentioning a bit more. I was going to do a whole post on this a few weeks ago because I was sooooo excited but never did. I just had to mention that we FINALLY after trying out two different dentist offices' here and not having too good of luck and starting to REALLY hate dentists (remember my post awhile back about our bad experiences) that we finally found a great place to go. Thanks to some of your referrlas, Michelle and Leah, we got switched over to the dentist you were using and it was quite the opposite experience to be in their office and be treated so politetly and not feel like they were trying to scam us with dental treatments we didn't need.

We had to pay extra to have flouride treatments at this last office we had been to, like $30 because our insurance doesn't cover it on adults. I asked this place if they'd be doing fluoride as well and what would happen if our insurance didn't cover it, and he was like oh we'll do it and just not bill you! Are you serious, I was amazed. We were actually able to schedule Wayne and myself on the SAME day, we took the kids and didn't feel guilty for having them there. In fact, they had two play stations set up with Mario Kart on it. Let's just say Kenner was not a pain at that visit and sat quite contently playing while we were there (maybe that is why he wanted to go back to the dentist so bad, he thought he'd get to play games!). And that pit our last dentist wanted to charge us like $300 to fill on Wayne, we only paid $25.20 at this new place!! So, it was just great and we are sooooooo happy to have finally found a place we can trust and feel happy about going to. I think I am finally starting to feel better about dentists now!

5 comments:

Mortensen Family said...

Where did you go? We need to get in but I hate the dentist out here. We had a really good one back home that we trusted and I have heard nothing good out here. Thanks for the info.

Court and Jill said...

YAY! Finding a great dentist can definitely take some shopping around. Glad you found one you feel comfortable with!! Plus free fluoride...sweet!

Michelle said...

Yay! So glad you had such a great experience!

Michelle G. said...

The picture of Kenner peeking at the nurse is so funny! That's great he let you take pictures. What a relief finding a good dentist.

Leah said...

You're welcome! We'll have to try out that pediatric dentist for Kara.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed